Monday, March 5, 2012

A Spring Surprise

The other day, I was looking out the window and I saw a strange little black animal following the goats around.  I thought it was the cat but it didn't act like a cat.  Suddenly I realized that it was a new-born goat!  It was trying to latch on to its mother but she kept walking around grazing on the grass.  The other goats were butting it out of the way.

 I grabbed my coat and shoes and went running out.  I saw the baby lying in a pile on the grass and I thought it had been killed.  However, it was just resting.  I picked her up and dragged the mother out of the field and put them in the goat shed together.  We put grain, molasses water and hay in there and locked them in together. 

After a few hours, we saw that the mother was nuzzling her baby and allowing her to drink.  It was very sweet.  She is a first time mom and we didn't even know if she was pregnant.


1 comment: