Thursday, August 12, 2010

June 6, 2010 The Good and the Bad

I’m looking out my window at three sweet little goats (wethers – neutered males). We are boarding them and fattening them for our friends Je and Jo. Two of them are the sons of our beloved Dolly, who went to Je and Jo in exchange for butchering our kids last year.

They were here today when I told them about our chickens and how we didn’t want to kill them. Joel said, “I’ll be over with all the equipment and show you how to do it.”

Back tracking a bit. Yesterday, some of our bees died bravely defending their hive from a marauding lawnmower. Yes, Ray was mowing behind the hives and somehow lost control and banged into two hives, tipping one right over. He says he doesn’t remember getting to the house but when he was at the door, he thought, “I better not bring these bees into the house.” So he ran to the other door getting some more stings and yelling for help. I took at least twelve stingers out but there were more in his beard and his shirt, etc. Somewhere in running for his life, he lost his glasses and asked me to go find them. I put on my bee-suit and went looking. They were on the grass next to a very agitated bee hive.

We hoped he wouldn’t suffer too much but he has had a miserable day. His ears are swollen, the three stings to his neck must have hit a gland because it hurts a lot, the thin skin on his scalp is on fire, he feels sick and dizzy and I can’t keep up with ice packs for him. He’s not allergic but that’s a lot of poison for anyone to handle.

So Ray was not up to killing chickens today. Jo and Je came over at 4:00, and by 5:00 I had a chicken in the roaster and in the oven. First, Je and I went to catch a rooster while Jo sharpened his axe and set up the propane water heater. She used a fish net and cornered him and then held him by the wings and feet and took him to the killing block. Jo grabbed the neck and whacked him while I held him by the feet. I kept hold of his feet while he thrashed around a bit. It really wasn’t as disgusting as I had expected. We did two more and then dumped them in hot water and plucked them. He showed me how to clean the insides and I did one from start to finish. Bear patiently waited until I put some liver, heart and gizzard in his dish. He was a happy dog!

So I want to explain the sharing economy we are enjoying here. Je and Jo are one example. She has also given me 60 strawberry plants, some tomato and pepper plants and I give her some of my extras. I will sell some of her stuff at the farmer’s market so she doesn’t have to go. And we are looking after their goats.

Then there is A. I gave her some extra seed potatoes. She gives me goat milk, duck eggs and I have enjoyed her delicious goat cheese. So when she shows up at the door having had a flat tire on the highway, of course she can come in and use our phone and of course I can drive her home. Then she gives me more goat milk.

Y and R ordered too many chickens. That's why they gave us 14 chickens. Then they mentioned they have a little orchard and would like to host one of our hives during blossoming season. So I drove back and forth 25 miles several times looking after the hive and then brought it home. They will get a jar of honey.

This sharing extends to the farmer’s market. Yesterday was a beautiful day and we had high hopes of getting a good crowd buying our stuff. However, having had rain all week, probably everyone was enjoying the sunshine or working in their own gardens and it was not a great success. But we bought from each other. I made $22 (minus the table fee) and I spent $67! This is no way to get rich. But I meet wonderful people and have good conversation.

So that’s our interesting weekend. We still love this life, though Ray will not feel normal for a while. He has not lost his sense of humour and I admire him so much for the way he is gracious and cheerful even when he is suffering.

Bye for now. Keep in touch.

Love from Fern and Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment